Sunday, September 10, 2017

Sunday Musings 9/10 Irma Inspired

There really isn't much one can contemplate politically.  The one thing that is true is that Trump's unpredictability means you don't really know how things will transpire all the time.  Unlike myself, one who craves predictability in all aspects of my life, Trump seems to thrive on chaos as it allows him to carve out control over what effects him.

No matter how awful the policies that Trump wants to pursue, you have to look objectively at what caused people to vote for him.  The following link is a peek into that world.  It doesn't have an answer for winning an election, for that you need people on the ground focused on speaking with voters, listening to their concerns and finding policies that will speak to their needs while remaining within reasonable levels of taxation and running a balanced budget.

Link to "Trump Fever Never Breaks"

And as for Donald Trump, all I can hope for that the storm surge causes great harm to Mar del Lago and that causes Trump to change his mind about global warming.  But I will not hold my breath waiting for that.

As for Irma, I find it interesting that more recent arrivals have hunkered down for various reasons that I know sound prudent to themselves, but I was struck by the arrival of a long time resident in NY after the long drive from Florida. He was 90 years old, had been through other hurricanes and said he never wanted to do that again.  Also, my high school friend Paul has been very silent on Facebook. He has lived in Florida for 41 years.  The more recent arrivals have done everything they can to be prudent and secure, but are staying put.  I hope they all come through this unharmed.

And back at the ranch, we will see if Schumer's power politics actually help people.  I think the answer to that is in the hands of Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan.  Trump has decided that he has to actually pass laws to help people.  Will McConnell and Ryan agree with that?  Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment