Sunday, July 24, 2011

It is the Republican's Deficit!!

The Congressional Budget Office finally decided to add up whose policies created the deficit.

Continuing Policies:
Bush
War on Terror:  $1.469 billion and continuing
Bush Tax Cuts:  $1,812 billion and continuing
Non-Defense Discretionary: $608 Billion
Medicare Drug Benefit:  $180 billion

Obama
Non-defense Discretionary Spending: $278 billion
Stimulus Tax Cuts:  $425 billion
Health Care Reform:  $152 billion

Bush Policies contribute $4.1 trillion to the cumulative deficit while Obama policies contribute $0.9 trillion.  These are the continuing policies.

On the one-off policies, Bush spend $997 billion to try and prevent a depression and Obama spend $271 billion.  I consider both of these as money well spent as it is bad enough to have a 9% unemployment rate and the current state of the frozen housing market, how bad would it be if we hadn't had the stimulus spending.

Anyway, my point is the policies that the Republican house want to continue have created most of the current deficit and they insist is the Democratic spending.  So rather than raise any taxes to pay for the War on Terror, they insist that military spending be left untouched and all the budget balancing come out of entitlements.  I don't know too many people who would vote for that explicitly and I don't understand why the Democrats cannot hold the Republicans accountable for this nonsense.

I repeat, I have joined Americans Elect.  I took their views poll and I am more liberal than most on immigration and health care but more conservative on general economic and foreign policy stuff and right in the majority on social issues.

My conservative friends call me a flaming liberal but I still see myself as a man of the middle.  I support universal health care and a balanced budget when the economy is doing well.  I would raise taxes to pay for the war on terror and reform entitlements to make the programs sustainable in the long term, but I would not gut them like Paul Ryan.  I support individual liberties as does Ron Paul, but I would not bring the troops home too fast as Ron Paul would.  Debating this stuff and recognizing that every view has validity is the stuff of democracy.  See my Reason blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment