Tuesday, May 14, 2013

US Politics is now a Farce (And that includes the AARP)

And I will not be commenting on it very much.  Thank goodness I have work to absorb my mental energy.

These two columns sum everything up pretty well as to why none of us should take what we see in the media or goes on in D.C. most days with any seriousness.  When we get to a real crisis point, there will be a compromise, so we might as well not pay attention until there is a crisis.


Link 1


Link 2


One last thing.  I joined the AARP so I would hopefully find health insurance if I needed to.  They were absolutely no help with that.  Now they are polluting my inbox with messages that say in essence "contact your legislators so there is no change to Social Security or Medicare".  AARP knows very well that neither program can meet all its obligations without either more revenues, tighter control on costs or some change in the promised benefits.  But their emails say "Just SAY NO".  It didn't work for Nancy Reagan's War on Drugs" and it won't protect retirees' benefits.  Changes are necessary and for Social Security, changing the CPI calculation is a relatively painless way to improve the situation.  I will not be renewing my AARP membership because their discounts are not at places we will stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment