Thursday, October 24, 2013

I'm Mad and I am just gong to have keep taking it

because other than voting, I have no ability to not take it anymore.  My apologies to readers who don't remember that movie line from 30 years ago.

I have been thinking about the Federal Gov't's botch up of the Federal Health Insurance portal.  I have outlined some of the reasons in my last post, but the overriding reason is the exact reason the Heritage Foundation and the non-Tea Party GOP advocated the design of HeritageFoundation/Romney/Obamacare to be at the state level and involve the private insurance companies.

Now I realize that much of the programming complexity would be simplified by a Universal Health Insurance company because then there would be only one insurance company and the only issues would be choice of deductible and income verification for subsidy level.  That is what we have with Medicare so Medicare For All is my preferred solution.

But that is not going to happen soon because if it were, it would have been done in 2010 and it wasn't.

So, why did the GOP want Romney/Obamacare to operate at the state level.  Because insurance is state regulated and building a single state website is much easier than building a national website for many states.  The USA is a big country and things work better when decision making is pushed down.  But with so many states being unwilling to expand health insurance (??? why do they feel that way??? - it makes no sense to me to be anti-abortion and then anti making sure that every child has health insurance), the Federal government had to built a national website.

I am from the private sector and if I were in charge of this starting in 2010, I would have said let's get this thing going and test it to find the bugs ASAP.  New computer systems always have bugs and bugs can be serious inhibitors to customer service.  Who ever was in charge of this has #$%^& it up and should be fired and, if no one is in charge, the person who failed to put someone in charge should be fired.

The President has many issues to balance during any single day, but President Obama should have least asked, "Who is in charge of this thing? It has to work well."  So he is accountable for that much and Kathy Sebelius, as a former health insurance administrator, should definitely known to ask the questions and she is accountable for that.  And certainly an undersecretary to Sebelius should have known to ask the question and should be accountable for that.

Any why were there so many different contractors? I admit I don't understand big system technology and I know all these contractors exist for a fundamental economic purpose as they are very successful businesses.

I am also mad a the Tea Party. Our insane budget process is harming job growth and stopping the Fed from normalizing monetary policy. Economic institutes estimate that employment is 900,000 to 1,500,000 jobs lower than it would be otherwise because of stupidity in fiscal policy. So when we get finished with the harm from overly steep declines in Fiscal Policy, we will potentially need a sudden reversal of monetary policy and that will not be good for retiree savings as asset values will need to reflect slower growth for longer.  And bonds will not be a safe haven on a mark-to-market basis.

That makes me Mad and I wish I didn't have to take it anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment