Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Union is #1 and I am reminded how hard weight control is

My alma mater, a small school of 2200 students, which competes in Division 3 in all sports but ice hockey, decided some time ago to compete in Division 1 ice hockey.  Union College does not give athletic scholarships, so it is not surprising that for many years they had mediocre results as the better athletes went for a free education.

For the last few years, Union has had a sufficient group of players to win their league (ECAC which includes the Ivy League schools, Colgate and fellow Division 3 members of the Liberty League that also play Division 1 Ice Hockey).  Union also made the NCAA playoffs these last 3 years.

This year, they went all the way and are Division 1 National Champions.  Very exciting for we sports fans who by attending a Division 3 had zero expectation of ever rooting our school to a Division 1 Championship.  I went out of my way financially to attend the Championship game.  It was very exciting to lose oneself in a rooting experience that turned out to be successful.  The glow of joy has yet to leave my inner core.

I must note at the same time, Clarkson Women's Hockey Team also won the Division 1 championship.  Clarkson, like Union, RPI, and St. Lawrence, are all Division 3 schools playing Division 1 ice hockey.  So congratulations to the Clarkson lady's and alumni.  I am sure they are just as proud of their team as we Union fans are.  And unlike the B.C. stars who were drafted and went immediately to their NHL team, Union's came back to campus to finish their degrees and start their pro careers this summer.

What does weight control have to do with this?  I was at my goal weight a week ago.  Then RSL and I had some great Italian food (no points control there) and I went to Philadelphia for the game.  We are trained from youth to eat food at sporting events that is not weight control friendly as you age.  Meat, bread, cheese, nacho's, alcoholic drinks and I know I am leaving some out.  Then you have to sober up for the drive home, stop at a diner and eat some more while you drink your coffee.  I am not at my goal weight anymore and I resent having to exert self-control.

Self-control is something any fun loving American hates.  But that desire, and poverty, are behind the obesity epidemic in the United States.  Having self-control is terribly difficult when it comes to eating, and our society has ingrained within it many occasions where having no self-control is encouraged.  It takes a real effort to exert that self-control and the poorer you are, the less likely you are to have sufficient happiness to fuel the desire to make the effort.

I am not optimistic that anything will prevent obesity, and the diabetes that inevitably results from it, from crushing our medical insurance system.  I hope that is not the case, but until the Tea Party supports the idea that the government should encourage good behavior, it is a hopeless case.  There is nothing wrong with Michael Bloomberg's portion control for one serving, but he was ridiculed by the extreme right for it.  Nothing in his proposal said an individual could not go back for a second order.

Anyway, I am happy in spirit from Union's victory and resentfully, back on my diet counting my points reminded how my internal training makes this process one of inevitably moving higher and lower; without ever being able to just eat the way I really would if RSL was not encouraging me to be at my goal weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment