Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Report From the Road

I was struck by one overriding awareness during a trip to San Diego for a week.  While I was flying and eating at restaurants, I was struck by the diversity of our population.  When I first started flying in 1977, almost every passenger was caucasian.

On my airplanes, waiting at O'Hare for my connection, and even at my hotel, the mix of people put the caucasian percent in the area of 50% - 60%, in my estimation.  That is not precise, but when you are eating an Indian Restaurant and the table next you is a Japanese American family speaking English like Southern Californian's, you know assimilation is still at work.

This is something the GOP ignores at it's peril.  If you promote policies that hurt one minority, you poison the well with other minorities.

As for the airplanes, they were full and smaller than they used to be.  Coming home non-stop, I was on a 737 for a cross country flight.

And for one other miscellaneous thought.  I have decided people who read the news on-line and comment/participate in polls are a decidedly more conservative group of people.  Examples are too numerous to cite, but today's version was a poll in the Daily Star (near my hometown) which asked if the minimum wage should be increased.  My hometown is GOP oriented and a non-growing minimum wage economy (it is rural) so I sort of expected the poll to be at least 50/50.  Instead, it was 65% against an increase, thus prompting me to comment on it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment