Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Exhausted, but I will Vote

I notice that my readership has migrated.  My Russian and Ukrainian readers have disappeared and been replaced by readers in Germany.  Since I don't think the Russian/Ukrainian readers were nationalists in the anti-democracy vein, I don't think they were upset by my anti-Putin point-of-view.  So I can only hope they have survived the conflict.

What has exhausted me?  Reading the same-ol-same-ol about the election and what the GOP are going to do.  While I do believe the GOP will control the Senate, we need to wait for the elections to pan out.  I don't trust polls because (i) young people don't have landlines, and (ii) who answers their landline when you don't recognize the calling phone number.  So a huge slice of the voting public is not getting polled.  But will they turn out?  That is the key unknown and based upon my survey of my only insight into that segment of society, they will not as they are going on a vacation Sunday for 2 weeks and I don't think they had the foresight to get an absentee ballot.

Fortunately, the only unknown election in NY where they live is Proposition #1 which is an effort to bring some honesty to the gerrymandering drawing in the year 2020.  It isn't a great proposition, but it is a step in the right direction and if voted down, who knows what the crooks in Albany will agree to since getting this was like pulling teeth.  They will probably just hunker down and let the status quo continue.

Too bad Vermont is so cold.  It is too small to gerrymander and they allow death with dignity.

Anyway, Tuesday is only 1 golf round and 2 days of studying away.  Then all this will be done and we can go back to gridlock and D.C. animosity.  If there is no compromise from the GOP, we will have veto after veto and await 2016.  At this point, I am thinking the best candidates are Maryland Governor O'Malley and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush.  I have always thought Governors make the best Presidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment