Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Antonio Weiss: I would have done the same thing

In the summer of 1974, I was a Congressional Intern.  From that lowly position, I saw the fun of working government and the frustration of working in government.  And that was at a time when Congress actually passed legislation.

Now Congress doesn't pass much legislation and certainly does not address the big issues in a manner that moves the country forward.

So, I went into business, had a career in many different aspects of the economy, and developed a knowledge of how different aspects of the economy fit together to work well.  I also developed a knowledge of how capitalism uses the markets and the free flow of ideas, capital, and labor to create the best society in the world to live in.

That took time and experience, which is what you need in the Under Secretary of Treasury for Domestic Finance.  This position cannot have lawyer or ideologue who is anti-market's.  Such a person, by not understanding the nefarious ways in which different forces interact within the market, will institute policies that harm the economy.  A well functioning market and economy is what provides the revenues necessary for the government to function.

So, it is really to bad that Antonio Weiss decided to take a different position in the United States Treasury Department, but I get it.  The GOP wanted to let the Democrats fight it out and didn't want to rescue the appointment of a Democrat, even to a necessary position, and the hearings prior to potential approval would have taken most of the year, leaving only 12 months to do anything.  I would not have pursued that if I were in that position.

I hope Antonio Weiss can fulfill the same role from his new position that does not require Senate confirmation and, if so, I suspect the position will go unfilled for the remainder of President Obama's term.

But I fail to understand how that is good government and it affirms my decision to not work in government and fuels the disdain I feel for politicians of all persuasions.  They are scum of the earth in so many ways.  But I do know that some of them are honorable and I wonder how they can stand dealing with the idiots and scumbags on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment