Tuesday, June 2, 2015

History Shows States Rights Used to Protect Racism

I, as a Baby Boomer, have long believed that States Rights have an important role in spending money well because the states are closer to the realities on the ground.  But I have seen several shows on history recently, that combined with the assault on the EPA, by States Rights advocates; and the high level of corruption in certain state legislatures, create doubts about this.

States Rights advocates used this argument to prevent a Federal law stating lynching is a crime.  And can you imagine the race to the bottom by GOP dominated legislatures if clean water is determined by the state.  What happens when water crosses state lines as it does so often in rivers and big lakes?

And just look at this travesty in health insurance with states setting the standards.  How does somebody making $3,000 a year afford health insurance when that is the level the state sets for  access to Medicaid?

Another travesty is the ability of straw gun purchases where gun traffickers can buy lots of guns in some states and then resell them illegally in other states.

Who buys those guns?  Gang Bangers  And who fears Gang Bangers, the police.  So unarmed young black males get shot by fearful police who cannot manage their fear.  And then states pass Stand Your Ground laws that allow anyone with fear to shoot anyone.  I am afraid of all those white gun owners shooting me, but I am Caucasian and know they will not target me.  But they will target a young black man.  So if I were a young black man, I would want a legal gun to protect myself, so I could Stand My Ground.  That is a nasty negative circle not unlike the Sunni Shiite bullshit in the Middle East.

No wonder I am depressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment