Friday, June 26, 2015

How I Evolved on Same Sex Marriage

I can vividly recall a conversation RedStateVT and I had on a golf course in 2011, it was basically "Why isn't Civil Union good enough?" and we were in agreement.

But I now recognize that wasn't sufficient in many ways that matter to the individuals effected by the distinction between Civil Unions and Marriage.  Those individuals are the individuals who want to form families and the children that come to those same sex couples.  They want to be equal under the law and marriage is an outcome of law in country where church and state are distinct from each other.

I came to this realization slowly over the past 4 years, although I probably beat the President to the conclusion that "all men (and women) should be treated equally under the law", but not by much.

And I attribute all this evolution on my part to Ted Payne, RIP Ted.  Ted died in 2001 and he was both an individual who worked for me and a friend.  And I had no idea he was gay until I learned that he had AIDS and had died.  I wanted to go to his funeral but I was unemployed and believed that I should spend every day looking for a job in NYC rather then drive to New Jersey for a funeral.  I regret that every time I think about it.

And in Ted's memory, I embrace the Supreme Court decision today, just as I was thankful 36 states saw fit to end discrimination against same sex couples before today's decision.  The real issue decided today is whether all people have the same rights when they move from state to state.  Once 36 states said same sex couples could be married, the other states at least had to recognize the validity of those marriages if such people moved to their state.  But those states were saying no we will not recognize them.  And that is what the Supreme Court decision today should have said at least.

But, the Justices, to their credit, said more than that.  They said all people are equal under our Constitution and that is certainly a true statement, as I understand the Constitution.  How can anyone dispute that?

And at least, unlike ObamaCare, this cannot be undone by the Congress because this is state law sanctioned by the Supreme Court.  Those *ssh*les in Congress can't do a d*mn thing.

1 comment:

  1. So it is probably fair to say that both you and President Obama "evolved" on the issue of gay marriage. Neither of you "flip-flopped." You both "evolved."

    ReplyDelete