Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A cost of living musing

Today I spent the day of atonement atoning for my year of poor golf shots and ending up shooting my best round of the year.  97 on a Par 71 with only a few readjustments of the ball to compensate for my inconsistent game.

What got me writing was two of my golf partners were in their 80's and both lived in Pelham, where I do.  Both of these gentlemen were blue collar workers in their prime.  One was a driver of 18 wheelers (tractor trailers for any readers outside the U.S.) and the other repaired TV's and computers.  Yet, both earned income sufficient for them to save and live in a village with high taxes and a great school system.  Today, the house that they have lived in for decades are worth between $600,000 and $750,000 and no one in their old profession could ever save enough to live in such a house.

I think I could explain how this came to pass but somehow it doesn't seem right that it did come to pass,  nor do I have any idea how to get wages for such workers high enough to change it and I certainly don't want the price of housing to go much lower.  That is a sad commentary on our economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment