Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A Downside to being Retired

The last few days have been slightly traumatic for your correspondent.  On Friday, my MacBook Pro, which is only 2 months past it's 2nd birthday, started behaving strangely in terms of accession files and would not shut down unless I forced it to.

The reliability continued to deteriorate over the weekend as I tried using information from the web to fix it and solve the problem.  I thought it was a malware problem and was very irritated by that thought.  But while awaking Monday a.m., I had the revelation that it could be a hardware failure of some kind.

So, I consulted expert help at the Genius bar at the Apple Store.  They ran tests, determined the hardware was fine, but I had corrupted software (whatever permissions are) and ran a fix to repair the permission in the software.  Everything looked fine and I went home.

Got home, turned the laptop on.  It doesn't work.  Make another appointment at the Genius Bar.  Drive to White Plains.  More tests, reformat the hard drive, reload the hard drive with the operating system.  Hard Drive failure.

How does a  2 year old hard drive fail?  Well, apparently my frustration driven forced shut downs of the laptop corrupted the hard drive.  How does software become corrupted which generated my  initial frustration? No answer for that from the genius bar employees.  Sh*t happens is basically what they said.

So, now I am typing on a new laptop and this is where not having any current income really hurts.  You can't be a modern guy and not have a computer.  And computers break and are expensive.  I don't have an IT department to tell me not to force shut down the computer receptively because that will harm the hard drive.

Oh, to be 10 years younger and working.  I suspect this will not be my only disappointment in being retired as I move through time.

No comments:

Post a Comment