Friday, December 5, 2014

Observation on Health Insurance

Regular readers know that I really do support the concept of a single payer plan, but I accepted the concept of Obama/Romney/HeritageFoundationCare because I cannot imagine how the country could manage the employment problems of moving from private health insurance to medicare for all.  After all, there are probably hundreds of thousands of people employed by those private health insurance companies and you can't simply fire them all on 12/31/??.

But, as someone who is in the middle of switching insurance companies for 2015 so I can bring the power of market place competition to bear upon Empire Health Insurance, I have to say the hassle of changing payments (canceling old and starting anew), shopping and researching which Dr's are part of which network leaves me cold and having done it once, I have no desire to do it again next year.

When I was a working stiff, all this just happened.  That was a beautiful thing.  But I do support the idea of separating obtaining health insurance from employment and what I am dealing with is what we have.

All I can say is, that with my wife on Medicare,  there are things to pay attention to with that and it seems to be a breeze compared with what I am doing as an individual too young for Medicare.  It is mostly uncertainty and a need to pay attention to details, but I am a professional businessperson, used to this stuff.  I hate it and don't really want to do it.  What is a less educated person to think and do?

It really confirms my desire for a single payer plan, I just don't know how to manage the transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment