Thursday, October 4, 2012

Romney 1 Obama 0

Of course, a campaign is more than one debate, but even I thought Romney came across better in tone and content.  The problem with the content was that he turned his back on what he has been campaigning on.  He sounded moderate so he sounded reasonable and came across well.

However, Romney promised not to cut defense spending, restore $749 bn to Medicare, not raise taxes on the middle class while cutting tax rates on the wealthy, not change Medicare for anyone over 60 (I am 59 and now find myself where the 54 year olds used to be when 55 was the magic age for such changes) and a few other promises.  All-in-all, if you added up what he proposed for the budget, he is not going to balance the budget any better than he portrays that Obama would.  You can't do all this things and lower the deficit.  So we don't know what Romney stands for and my mind is not changed.

I will admit I missed the 1st 25 minutes because we were watching a Netflix disc with a BBC show called The Hour.  I highly recommend this show.  It is only 2 discs with 3 hours on each one.  Very interesting plot with decent acting.  I also channel surfed to keep up with the Yankees Red Sox so I may have missed President Obama make a compelling counterpoint, but that is what I thought he missed doing and why I think most people feel he lost the debate.

1 comment:

  1. Not to worry. You did not miss any compelling counterpoints by Obama. He did not make any! Incredibly, one of the unreported aspects of the debate was how Obama actually appeared to be nodding several times as Romney was skewering him.

    ReplyDelete