Saturday, November 9, 2013

Follow the Money Again

A Gun Advocate wrote a story suggesting every gun owner go through a training program (not unlike driver education) and for that he lost his job, his editor lost his job because some advertisers in and some readers of their gun magazine did not approve of such an article.  They are so busy supporting the 2nd Amendment (Right to Bear Arms), they cannot acknowledge the 1st Amendment (Freedom of Speech) and tolerate a little debate within their ranks.  There can be no deviation from the NRA position of no control over any aspect of gun ownership.  That is the obstacle that sensible people face.

Link to Gun Advocate Dissents

And while the House of Representative Republicans are busy trying to reduce spending on Food Stamps which poor people use to feed themselves, they are blocking any reduction in Farm Subsidies for farmers.  I have never understood the GOP fascination with Farm Subsidies.  Either you believe in the Free Market or you don't.  I have supported the cessation of Farm Subsidies almost my entire adult life because I believe in the efficiency of a market economy.  But I recognize that a number of Farm State senators oppose what I believe in and so I don't get on my soapbox to state my position.  However, the hypocrisy being demonstrated by the House GOP by supporting reduced payouts to poor people while continuing to maintain payments to well off farmers who then give political contributions to the GOP must be fought against.  Either restore the Food Stamps levels or cut the farm subsidies.  I support the latter.

Gail Collins points out How Follow the Money explains Farm Subsidies


No comments:

Post a Comment