Friday, November 8, 2013

I hope Healthcare.gov starts to work well soon

Maybe then the hubbub over the cancellation of individual policies will end as people realize that the new individual policies are better public policy.

I quote someone:

"The individual market - which serves 5% of the population, and which is where the disruptions are happening - is a horror show.  It's a market where healthy people benefit from systematic discrimination against the sick, where young people benefit from the systematic discrimination against the old, where men benefit from the systematic discrimination against women, and where insurers benefit from the systematic discrimination against the uninformed."

"The result, all too often, is a market where the people who need insurance most can't get it, and the people who do get insurance find it doesn't cover them when it's most necessary.  All that is why the individual market shows much lower levels of satisfaction than every other insurance market."


I know how the old individual market works.  I am an intelligent consumer and I bought a policy based on a low price (vs the alternative) that I thought would work and it didn't based on things I couldn't figure out before I bought the policy.  Fortunately, I only had that policy for one month and I could afford the net $3,5000 it cost me.

As for the issue of you can't keep your Dr's or figure out which Dr's take which insurance.  Well, there is nothing new about that.  RSL had to figure that out for Medicare and even the DR's offices don't know for that.  So I am not surprised they don't know which of the new insurance policies which start in future they will take.  They have agreements with insurance companies and they take all the policies that insurance company issues, is how I think it works.  But the problem is not with Obamacare, it is a problem with not having a Universal Single Payer Plan.

And while the GOP is having fun bashing Obamacare implementation, why is the structure of Obamacare still their preferred reform for Medicare?

2 comments:

  1. Just a thought, but why is it that so far no one who has an insurance policy that has been cancelled because of Obamacare has come forth and said: "I am happy that my policy was cancelled."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't answer my last question. Why is the structure of Heritage Foundation/Romney/Obamacare still the GOP proposed reform for Medicare if it is so bad for everyone under 65?

      Delete