Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sunday Musings 12/8/13

I don't know about you, but I heard absolutely nothing yesterday about Pearl Harbor remembrances.  I am sure there was something in Honolulu, but it just shows that as the people who were alive at the time pass on, the anniversary importance fades.

The annual review of the year in books was in the NYT today.  I always enjoy looking at this issue to see how many I read, what I might like to add to my reading list and just enjoy learning from the little descriptions about things in books I will not read.  The thing today that stuck me today is there are still a lot of books published.  Many may only be read on a tablet, but I assume a sufficient number of copies are being sold for the business of book publishing to continue for the foreseeable future.  That is a relief.

It is also a relief to see my old neighbor in VT on the best seller list again with his collaboration series with Clive Cussler.  Go Jack Go.  I enjoy these books and will download Mirage today.

Thomas Friedman today discusses the need for the U.Ss\. to improve its education.  I have not been particularly concerned about this, but then again, I sent my son to private schools where he got a 1st rate education and learned how to think creatively in an independent manner.  I will put a link into why Friedman is concerned and he has convinced me that we need to motivate improvement across the board if the U.S. is to improve as a society.

His key political points are: (i) It requires a systemic response;   (ii) Democrats who protect teacher unions and fail to address growth in entitlement spending will force reductions in education spending that are harming our future; and (iii) Republicans who block investments in early education and immigration reform are harming our future.

The country needs a labor force that is globally competitive in order to create growth and good jobs.  "Just redividing a slow-growing pie will not sustain the American dream."  Education is the only path to success on that front for the middle and lower class.

Link to Friedman column

And Ross Douthat discusses whether young people will buy health insurance at higher premiums than before because they are required to by law.  The column is really the best argument I have seen from a conservative for universal health insurance through a single payer plan.  He did not intend that, but that is what he published.

Every young person becomes an older person and if they do not, they use the medical system or die suddenly in an accident.  The old system tried to incorporate the young into the medical insurance system by lowering prices for the young; that the insurance company could afford for the young because they did not insure anyone with pre-existing medical conditions in the individual market.

But someday, a certain percentage of those young will have pre-existing conditions and want heath insurance.  No young (or middle age or old) person knows today what their exact future will be.  But everyone needs medical care at some point and insurance helps keep the cost of that medical care affordable.  The point of all insurance is to spread the cost around so that if something happens, you have coverage.  I have had life and disability insurance because it was the prudent thing to do for my family.  I haven't  put in a claim, but I do not regret the expenditure.

So, everyone should participate in the health insurance scheme, just like every drive of a car needs car insurance. It was a Republican idea to do it the way it is done in Heritage FoundationRomenyObamacare.  If that does not work because young people do not sign up, it is a sign that a single payer health insurance for all plan is the only viable alternative to spreading the cost of health care around 100% of society.

Thank you Ross.

Link To Ross Douthat column



No comments:

Post a Comment