Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Poor and Government Policy

One of the benefits of growing up in a rural area as the grandson of farmers is that I had exposure to lower income workers.  My parents worked for their paycheck and we were a layoff away from dramatically reduced life style.  But at the same time, I think the 1990's welfare reform was a big improvement on what we had before.  So, I have been ambivalent about extended unemployment knowing that there is welfare beyond the cessation of unemployment insurance.

This is why I believe that the GOP needs to improve their presentations if Charles Blow's review of their policy proposals is not accurate.  Unfortunately, at this time, I believe his presentation is accurate and I recommend a read of it.  It is especially accurate that the rich and middle class love to take advantage of tax deductions and any tax related/subsidy/government purchase cash flow they can find while arguing to reduce payments to help the poor.  Rest assured, if we are to balance the budget, there are a lot more $ flowing to rich and middle class than there is supporting the poor.  See the following link.

The Poor are not simply reliant on government handouts


No comments:

Post a Comment